Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Keeping Track of History: My Experience Working with PastPerfect

by Juan Carlos Sanabria
April 9, 2013
 
           For the past two weeks, I've been working with PastPerfect, the software program used by the +Florida Historical Society to keep track of all of its documents, books, photos, and objects. Despite the vast degrees of cataloging its capable of, PastPerfect is fairly easy to learn. I did, however, find it useful to keep side notes to highlight search terms for others to use to find the series of documents I've already entered into the database, as well as notes on whatever labels I used in the cataloging fields (keep in mind my additional ones jotted down to remember the general Works Progress Administration Collection). To put it simply, its a slightly more intricate Microsoft Excel, but geared toward digitally labeling and managing material in the field of historical study.

           I must admit, the notes I mentioned above – those I took to remember the general Collection – were not sufficient to register material into PastPerfect. The program requires basic information like date of creation, title, container, author, subject, etc. My notes took down some of these, but they were primarily on points of interest to the public, researchers, myself, and the people I work with (especially the other interns). Sometimes, these notes were on subjects I knew little about, explaining why I jotted them down. If I had a larger exposure to the history field some of these notes would have never existed. It also would have helped to know more about the collections researchers and the public frequently demand. Still, I managed, though not without spending some time to make sure that what I'm entering in will show up for the most basic PastPerfect search. This translates to me spending almost all of my time at the Florida Historical Society's Research Library methodically going over WPA memos, letters, source lists, notes, finished documents, and typed up versions of old documents.

           For those resistant to clerical work, I do not recommend archival work. Careful attention to a memo or letter's sender, receiver, contents, and date of creation is a must. Solid reading comprehension and delicate skimming are required when summing up long or convoluted documents. Other times, documents will be handwritten photocopies, so figuring out the subject of the document requires the ability to decipher people's hand writing. Furthermore, you are required to peer into the white of a lit computer screen for considerable periods of time. Finally, a keen sense of organization becomes your ultimate tool in cataloging a collection as large as the WPA one (21 boxes with an average of 6 folders in each, each folder containing an average of 6 documents). It's a good thing the interns before me took time to make notes. Archiving is serious clerical work, but the work environment at the Florida Historical Society in Cocoa is comfortable and cheery, so the pressure is alleviated.

           Anyways, thanks for reading. Hope this has been informative. Expect frequent posts in the coming days.

Cheers,

JCS

No comments:

Post a Comment